• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Feeling good on little sleep

DeadSpeed

Greenlighter
I noticed i feel better when i have been up a while not so much 24 hours but right around when i start getting tired and im forcing myself to stay awake. Its like a sorta high where i dont feel anxiety or im on a different awarness that isnt as boaring. What is this.

no idea but i get it to tis the time that i get all of my work done tend to have 48hour sleep cycles when im workin :D but i figuer if it works it works

Rogue Robot moving this to homeless!?! What am i missing?

Deadspeed, you're not alone in the curiousity of sleep deprivation...

sleep deprivation

Thats interesting that you noticed. Look up sleep deprivation therapy for depression. There have been many studies that show less sleep improves depression in a portion of the population. There is a certain type of depression where your circadian rythmyms are different causing depression to lift with less sleep. look it up. Changing my schedule to sleep only 4 or 5 hours instead of 9 has erased my depression

^ Awesome! So, instead of insomnia, I can call this sleep deprivation? When do I start feeling less depressed? ;)

I really will look into that, though....

sleep deprivation

Studies have shown that a person who is suicidally depressed can be temporarily cured when exposed to full sleep deprivation for 24 hours. Apparently a black cloud should begin to lift around 3 or 4 in the morning if you are one of these types who respond to it. I tried it myself and i noticed my mood was much better than in the morning when i wake up. Since you cant do total sleep deprivation and function normally they came up with partial sleep deprivation. You would use partial sleep deprivation and only sleeping certain hours to regulate your mood. Scientists say you will respond to this if you are the type who feels worse in morning and better mood in evening.

bignig5971: this is great to hear of somebody who believes in this practice^^^

I used to stay awake all night in college often, not on drugs, well maybe herb, but i would notice i felt so great in the morning on the way to college. Everbody would seem like zombies still recovering from waking up & i was full of energy.

I used to tell people who mentioned feelin blue but couldn't seem to get people to take me seriously.

There is without doubt some real potential in this. I'm gonna research further maybe post a couple of apt links.

When you're sleep deprived you enter a drunken feeling state.

At one point in the segment Leslie Stahl talked about how sleep deprivation mimics, to some degree, someone drunk, and that sleep deprivation can affect the emotional centers of the brain (called the amygdala) and hampers its connection to the frontal lobes (which control rational thought and decision making). This means that emotional thoughts were not being kept in check or balanced by the more rational part of the brain.

That don't last though depending how long you stay awake for.

Are you sober or are you taking stimulant drugs like caffeine, amphetamine, meth, or coke?

Or are you just stressed and very anxious?

Studies have shown that a person who is suicidally depressed can be temporarily cured when exposed to full sleep deprivation for 24 hours. Apparently a black cloud should begin to lift around 3 or 4 in the morning if you are one of these types who respond to it. I tried it myself and i noticed my mood was much better than in the morning when i wake up. Since you cant do total sleep deprivation and function normally they came up with partial sleep deprivation. You would use partial sleep deprivation and only sleeping certain hours to regulate your mood. Scientists say you will respond to this if you are the type who feels worse in morning and better mood in evening.

This is so true! An abundance of especially REMsleep will get you anguished,depressed, etc. PPL on methadone who sleep less demand much lesser amount of the drug. Also icecold showers in the morning - yes it's ghastly at first, but just seconds in the beginning, you'll get used to it - will get you so much happier.

3 things saved me from being a lifetime 24hour a day junkie.

1. No junk food, lot's of Raw.
2. Less sleep
3. Icecold showers in the morning.

I used to be the world's most unhappy person, now everyone is amazed at my energy...

Maybe that just because when you feel tired you can wake yourself up. That;s interseting!

sleep deprivation

Wow im gonna try the cold showers. When i began to sleep less i noticed there was a correlation with good mood so i knew there must be something to this theory. I eat too much junk food so im trying to cut it out. I bet you feel alot better than before. The more i sleep the more tired and depressed i am/

The longer you are awake, the more serotonin receptors will be activated, since more serotonin gets produced when awake. I don't know if this is also true for other monoamine receptors but it wouldn't surprise me.

I think in the end sleep deprivation will only make depressed symptons worse, try a healthy diet and as much exercise as you can handle, best is to make it a little of an obsession. These things combined with light therapy and stimulant medication keep my adhd and sad (seasonal depression) at bay. Quite well too.

The longer you are awake, the more serotonin receptors will be activated, since more serotonin gets produced when awake. I don't know if this is also true for other monoamine receptors but it wouldn't surprise me.

I think in the end sleep deprivation will only make depressed symptons worse, try a healthy diet and as much exercise as you can handle, best is to make it a little of an obsession. These things combined with light therapy and stimulant medication keep my adhd and sad (seasonal depression) at bay. Quite well too.

I am happy for you, I don't need more than a few hours sleep, as Rawfood has that effect on many ppl, BUT for years a friend of mine has forced himself to only sleep 4-5 hours every night. He is not tired, he says he sleeps much deeper, and he sure as hell is much happier. I phoned him now, yes it's six years. Perhaps it's not good in the long run but awful depression is a nightmare...

It might be due to the High melatonin that comes in at nighttime .

And yeah I definitely feel less depressed after sleep depravation now I come to think about it

I can get specifically euphoric if I'm tired, theres that odd time of night if you on the computer or something and midnight turns into 4 am very quickly that time is very relaxed

I've read a lot into this. It doesn't help me much but it does somewhat take away suicidal thoughts and the like.

I believe the reason this isn't widely administered (aside from profit) is the fact that the benefits aren't retained once the subject gets rest. Apparently the "mood lift" is caused by temporarily increased dopaminergic tone. One article called it a naturally-triggered psychostimulant.

^ I don't really feel a dopamine high though .

It's more of a mellow/stoned effect .

I tend to feel pretty good on less sleep too, although I’ve never been someone who can sleep in, or sleep during the day, sober or not. I also tend to feel mentally happier when hitting that tired phase. Good thread, very interesting.